Sunday, March 24, 2013
Well, the first one's all done. I'm pretty happy with it, and it shouldn't be too agonizing to get another four done in time for this Friday's Fast Attack Throwdown at Legio Malaysia. The model went together without too much trouble, though the pilot took a little maneuvering to get him in place.
Like the rest of the army, I kept the markings pretty sparse with a 'XVI' Legion number on the back left and an Eye of Horus on the front right. Decals went on without much trouble. I carefully ground off the Imperial Eagle normally on the prow- can't have those pro-Imperial images now can we...?
Having had some bad experiences in the past with the usual GW flying stand breaking too easily I made my own bases for these. I cut MDF circles matching the diameter of the flying base, and used brass tubing for the stand itself to ensure durability. Like everything else with a base, I used cork, Sculpey, and play sand.
Here's a few more pics I took- thanks for checking it out!
Saturday, March 23, 2013
Now that the Land Raider is done I've gotten started on the Jetbike squad. I'm getting close to finishing the first one and I'm really pleased with how the green gradient airbrush came out. Hopefully I'll finish this tonight!
Friday, March 22, 2013
I've put A LOT of time into this, and frankly there are still things to be done. The red in the icons is a bit washed out, more details could be done, touch up painting, etc. but at this point I need to move on. For the tabletop and beyond this is more than sufficient methinks.
Time for jetbikes!
Tuesday, March 5, 2013
As cool as this thing should look when I'm all done with it, this thing is a real pain in the balls. The resin parts are comically ill fitting, requiring a great deal of bending, shaping, and general fussing about. As you can see from the pic above, the front resin hull part fits so badly that I had to make a plasticard shim just to get everything to butt up nicely and not have unsightly gaps. I've also got to make some ornamental rails to run along the edges of the upper assault ramp to hide the gap on the left. Ugh.
The resin sponson doors that came with the kit were the "Imperial Eagle" version rather than the plain ones I thought I had ordered. So, those had to go and get replaced with plastic doors from a Rhino kit. Both the resin and plastic doors are way too big for the sponson, so I had to do quite a bit of cutting and sanding to get the doors to fit properly. Still, after all the effort the assembly stuff is near completion.
With any luck we'll get this thing painted by the end of this weekend, and that will give me another week before the Heavy Support throwdown that I can use to play catchup with Legionaries I should've finished a couple months ago... :)